Saturday, October 9, 2010

Roller Coaster

You know how it goes. He was a Death's door Wednesday but today he's feeling great, up and walking around, and wanting to go home. Darren told us that the doctor has taken him off all medication. He's still in both kidney and liver failure. Darren said this morning that he's going to take the girls out for a visit and then tell all concerned that he won't be able to get out every day--he's losing money with not being able to work. We were concerned about him having to pay cash for funeral costs and hope to be reimbursed out of the estate, but it turns out that his family owns a funeral chapel and there shouldn't be any problem.

My class yesterday was very interesting, and I know I learned a lot. Today was the last of the four classes that i got with my new sewing machine. The morning one was good, but about quilting, so very much in my comfort zone. The afternoon one was about programming the machine. The same woman taught them both and told us, before lunch, that the second one was very short and we should be away in less than an hour. However, didn't work out that way (Chaos Theory??), and we were still sitting there two hours later. As we were leaving, more students were arriving for the 3:00 class. Poor woman hadn't had a break since we arrived at 9:30, as she was working on the sale floor all during our short lunch break.

After, I went to Cre8ery Gallery, where an acquaintance had a one-woman show. I really had to get in there now as the show comes down on Tuesday. She had 365 individual pieces (small) all hooked together in a massive collage of her life. She works mainly in collage and acrylics, and for this show, has started to do image transfer. But--for this show she has also been working in stitchery. She told me that she had sold enough to show a profit on the show. When she was talking, she sounded surprised at the fantastic mob scene for the opening reception, and that pieces had been sold before the show even opened. But, she is a well-known person within the arts community, and I had read two very long,but flattering newspaper articles on the show. While I was there, several other people came in, and a couple of them mentioned hearing about it in the newspaper today. This is the same woman who taught the collage class that I took a couple of years ago, and started the piece that has been out in Selkirk for the past month. It's home now, but I have three pieces in the current show out there.

Anyway, I get to relax for the rest of the day. It's been so long, that I'm not sure I remember how! I was going to bake Red Velvet Cake from the "Just like Eaton's" recipe I have from Mom's box. I even bought the supplies! But I had a Freudian moment when I got home, and turned the oven on to "clean'. (I must have been channelling you Beth.) So we can't use it until tomorrow, so no cake. Too Bad! So sad! Yeah, it stinks, and it wasn't that dirty.
We are still expecting everyone for supper tomorrow, although Darren may take advantage and use the time to catch up on work.

No comments:

Post a Comment