Friday, September 21, 2012

Computers--Bah! Humbug!

Yeah, more computer problems.  Not really solved yet, but the situation is slightly better.  This all started when I bought another on-line quilting class. I've bought from them before, and experienced few problems, but they have, obviously, up-graded their requirements.  So I've struggled through the series of classes ( still haven't been able to view the last of 12) At the same time, I've been struggling with a queen size quilt I've been making for our bed.  Talk about being masochistic.  With all of this going on, we have barely stepped outside the door.  I look back over the week, and wonder where the time went.  Then I stop and think--it's Friday again.  Laundry day.  Then I realize how much has actually happened in a week.

My new dryer is working well.  It's noisier than the old one, but doesn't have a end program buzzer, so I have to train my ears to listen for a lack of sound as a cue to change the wash.  And David found a magic telephone number.  He called it, and within an hour the old dryer had disappeared from our yard.  The city wanted obscene amounts of money to take it away, but calling this number made it disappear. Truly magic! My computer has been upgraded a bit, and I have new features to play with, and learn to use.  I have taken a course on an advanced form of machine quilting, and will now have to ( have an excuse to?) spend some time making samples, and practicing what I learned. The course also gave me an excuse to visit not one, but two fabric stores, in a search for the supplies recommended.And the new techniques have spurred the glimmer of an idea for a new project.

 I tried a recipe off the Kraft website.  Ye-c-c-c-h!  Throw that one out.  Finished my little bottle of Maple cinnamon sugar, but had the thought that, if I could find the maple sugar, I could make my own! A reason to visit the Forks!

Found a new Louise Penny book a the library.  I read "A Trick of the Light" awhile back, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but could find nothing else by this author, at the time.  The new one is " A Beautiful Mystery".  They are both murder mysteries, but very gentle in approach.  There is a strong thread of the religious search for meaning in life throughout these books, but not offensive in any way. ( The most recent book takes place in a monastery) The protagonist is an senior member of the Quebec Surete, and the characterizations of all of the people is excellent.  I may recommend this one to my friend, Susanne's, book club, as I did the P.D. James book, "Believing the Lie".

So how's that for a week that, at first glance, nothing happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment