Sunday, July 7, 2013

Herbs

For a few years I have been trying to cultivate a little herb garden - this year it is doing very nicely with a few additions and some tlc. So now I wonder what I am to do with them and ask the experts - you folks. This is what I have growing:  English Thyme, French Tarragon, Sweet Basil, Rosemary, Sage, Parsely, Fernleaf dill, and a green leaf plant called celery but it is not what we think of as celery, and of course Mint. Every time I tend to the garden I pick a few leaves off each and eat them and each has its own particular flavour. So, how and when and with what can I make use of them. Any suggestions welcome. I have a Herb Book but it doesn't really tell me much except what they are and their medicinal uses. Another hot day today and much outside work accomplished. Sucks the living life out of you though haha  We have discussed the cost of going out to eat over the last little while ( since that horrendous expensive meal of raw fish I had last week) and decided that it would be much more economical to purchase a nice product and cook it at home eg Harry bought some big thick salmon steaks at Metro on Tuesday in North Bay, and we had them grilled with a lemon based marinade and they were absolutely delicious. They were on sale but cost almost 25.00 for four but still better than the 60.00 restaurant charge we paid last week! So this afternoon we were resting in the shade and Harry wanted fried rice for supper. I said I could cook some as I had all the ingredients needed but in light of the hotness and both of us worn out, we ordered from the local Chinese restaurant instead - dinner for two with egg rolls, fried rice, sweet and sour chicken balls and beef chow mein. I walked up to the restaurant ( I had just drank a beer) to pick it up and we ate it outside. I guess you have to consider the circumstances of eating out versus home made, and tonight it seemed just right to order take out haha Now I think I'll get ready for bed and read for a little bit under the fan. It is hard on the animals to be so hot and humid and without central air, I have fans blowing all around - sort of circulating hot air but it does feel a bit cooler! Cathy, is your internet faster now? Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment