Sunday, May 5, 2019

Grocery stores

I understand that there has only been one Freshco store in Western Canada, until the two of them opened in Winnipeg this week.  We've been by there for the last three days and there is still a line up to get inside the store and the parking lot is even more full today than yesterday.

Cantor's is a Winnipeg institution.  It's a family run business that has been operating on Logan, west of McPhillips, for many, many years.  It is now into the 2nd and 3rd generation, and they have been interested in expanding for awhile now ( this from a newspaper article).  I believe they are known for their traditional methods for preparing and butchering meat ( Maybe Kosher??, maybe not)  I do know that every once in awhile David and I drive over there to buy a pickled--not smoked--brisket.  I can remember Daddy bringing home a pickled brisket once in awhile, and wouldn't be surprised if it came from the store on Logan.  I have never run into a family that might serve hot brisket to slice and serve at the table, but I've certainly read about it in books.  Corned beef and cabbage anyone?

Yesterday, I was out in Selkirk volunteering, and we drove out again today to take more stock to the gift shop.  Both going and coming home we saw Pelicans, on the river or flying over it.  They fly in v-skeins, which I didn't know.  Nice to see them back for another year.  While I was gone, the young fellow came over with a friend and did our spring yard clean-up.  Two big trucks and lots of equipment, but David says that he owns all but one of the pieces of equipment they brought--that being the power rake.  Well done and well worth the price.  This was the same fellow that cleaned all the snow off our roof, and comes regularly during the summer to spray for weeds and fertilize the lawn.

David drove today.  My back has bothered me for two days now, so this morning I put on my corset again.  I really hate the thing, but have to admit that my back hasn't bothered me yet today.  However, after lunch at A&W in Lockport, and then two extra large cups of coffee, I'm ready for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment