Wednesday, January 4, 2023

A New Year full of opportunities

 There are problems with all of the opportunities that face us--such as a lack of will toward follow-up?  

I definitely want to loose weight, but have heard of so  many deep dives into self denial that peter-out quickly, as the change is just too dramatic, and is treated as a temporary thing, rather than as a serious life-style change.  So for January, I want to eradicate the my snacking habit.  This is a strong, long term habit that has defeated my dieting attempts more often that I want to think about it.  However my Dr. Phil diet was successful, but in the end it was snacking that ended my successful results there.  So working on this one habit has the potential to achieve some positive results.  The emotional humiliation of having to buy larger pants is also a potential form of creating habit change.  I'll say no more now, but if I report getting into smaller, older pants, you'll know that I have achieved something.

Don't ever under-estimate the power of smaller special interest groups.  Textile and Fibre Artists of Manitoba, which has a much larger and more varied members since voting to accept members from anywhere from whence they can participate via Zoom, has created some of this type of group.  In the fall, they started an on-line group for hand stitchers.  I've only attended three of the monthly meetings, but quite enjoy it and look forward to it.  We just sit and talk and stitch, but all of us have an interest in fibre arts.  Yesterday, I spoke about my efforts to make scroll books and my challenge of finding some way of turning the result of my stitching into a scroll with some sort of core.  Today, a very nice lady delivered two wooden thread spindles perfect for such a use.  She had been gifted about half a dozen of them by a thrift store owner who didn't know what to do with them.


One is about 5 inches high at the inner core and the other 7 inches--perfect for what I'm doing.  And all because of a casual remark at a meeting.

Stay safe ladies, and try to recognize opportunity when it knocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment