Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Session two of a pile of crap

I, too, have been watching videos and reading about Cosmic Smash booking.  The homework from yesterday's session took between 3 and 4 hours between last evening and this morning.  Session two today left me almost speechless, with disbelief.  I think I get the concept.  We all have barriers to releasing our creativity.  We have to recognize a barrier, and find some way of dealing with it, before we can relax and become our most creative self.  Overall, I would rather relax with a glass of wine.

I know that may sound judgmental, but I think I know that my barriers are my deep felt need to adhere to the standards of womanly and wifely performance, that was drummed into me when I was young.  Those would be that pleasure and creativity only comes after all of the work is done.  And we know that in those days woman's work was never done.  Then there was the added expectation that we could hold down a good job and still meet the expectations of household standards etc. I like to feel as though I fought my way through all of that and still came out with a feeling competency in my creative work.  Also, I was always blessed with a husband who didn't inherit unachievable standards from his mother.  ( Don't think that there weren't any battles there)

I do have high personal standards in my creative work.  I know this.  I believe that my biggest barrier is procrastination.  Often, I would rather read a book.

I guess what I'm saying is "I'm alright, Jack".  I don't need to put relaxing essential oils on my fabric or paper or canvas. Nor do I need all sorts of relaxation exercises before I start.  I will laugh at my experience the last couple of days, and carry on with what gives me pleasure, in my studio and my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment