Sunday, November 13, 2022

Too much to eat

 Yesterday was the sale in Lorette. Slow but steady, with a bit of a lull around noon.  But the fellow in the kitchen was selling homemade beef soup and a very small loaf of bread for $5, and most of the vendors enjoyed a hot lunch.  He was also selling the same type of cinnamon knot as last year.  Perfect for dessert.  Did I mention that I was sharing a table?  She (Barb was her name) was selling home baking.  I brought home cinnamon buns, home made whole wheat bread, butter tarts and matrimonial cake. Today we out out the garbage and whatever is still around the house will go too--except maybe the bread.

My stuff didn't sell well, nor did I expect it to.  But for some reason I sold coffee cuffs.  It was the cheapest thing on my table, except the book marks, and I sold 3 of those at 3/$10.

But the main benefit of the day?  The support and fellowship that was obvious amongst the women of the group--most from the Wednesday craft group.  Most of these women have lead a simple life, and they have experienced physical work--moreso than I.  Several of them have been school teachers, so they aren't uneducated, but rather, have perhaps chosen a life partner who had chosen to live on the family farm.  Several are widows.  But I feel comfortable around them.  I don't have to carefully choose every word and comment--although sometimes I choose to keep my mouth shut.  
When I was first there, it was as "Gail's friend", but over the summer Gail has not been attending, and now they know me as a person, and I felt, yesterday, that they like and accept me.  They even accept my weird sense of humour, and I understand their somewhat "earthy" humour.  This was a good day.  And to top it off, it was Saturday, and my shows were on PBS from Detroit.

No comments:

Post a Comment