Sunday, February 11, 2018

Ya' gotta laugh

Went to the critique session Saturday, with my friend, Gail. ( I always describe her that way to differentiate from David's sister, Gail)  There was little actual critique involved.  The moderator gave us a bit of her background, and her degree as an art historian.  She had been provided with the little statements each of us had provided as part of signing up, and had prepared a set of specific questions for each of the six items to be discussed.  We had also been warned that we would have to verbally introduce our pieces to the audience ( there were about 8 people in total there.)  After our introduction the event was more of a give and take discussion than critique, with the moderator using her questions as cues to further discussion.  Each person ended up getting about 20 minutes of fame. In the end we had all gained a great deal of understanding of each others motivation, the techniques each of us tends to use, and our working systems, and routines.  There was a lot of similarity in those areas, despite the variation in our mediums.  There were two potters, a hand needle felter who makes wonderful miniature heads, a one of a kind book maker, a glass worker, and myself, the fibre artists.  The glass maker was the lady who gifted me all  the fused glass cabochons several years ago.  The ones I still use.  It was great to get in touch with her again, and to find that Gail was a mutual friend.

Unfortunately, when I got home, David was not well, and I took him into emergency.  It appears that he might have had a small stroke.  He recovered fairly quickly, and we were home by about 8:00.  He was okay today, but has been left with a bit of a left facial droop, and some times slurs his words a bit.  We see our doctor tomorrow, and should find out more then.

  My computer had been giving me grief, and had been taken into the Geek Squad Friday.  It had been arranged that it be sent away to diagnosis, and possible hard drive replacement, but Saturday afternoon David got a call saying it was ready to come home.  It was too late to go Saturday, after we got home from the hospital, but when we tried to check for mail, and maybe blog,  we discovered that we had no power in our computer room!  I've arranged to get an electrician in, maybe tomorrow.  However, David had other ideas, and after we picked my computer up this afternoon, he jury-rigged a system using extension cords, so that we got both computers plugged in, and hooked up to the internet.  We had stopped for coffee on the way home, and I had taken mine into Starbucks to see if I could check the e-mail on their WIFI.  A couple of ladies helped me get set up, and what they taught me allowed me to re-access our home WIFI sytem.  

A strange day all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment