Monday, September 19, 2022

Burned a lot of gas this week.

 Wednesday morning, David was to Seven Oaks for an assessment.  Then we got in the car and headed for Geesje's house, South of St. Claude.  Gail had been overwhelmed with work, and when David had suggested that he drive me, she was grateful. This was the longest excursion we've made in several years.  We took it easy, and stopped for lunch at a little food stop in the middle of nowhere-"Ma's Drive-in".  The food was great, the single stall unisex washroom not so great.  But I was a desperate woman, and things went well until another woman (thank Goodness, a woman) walked in on me wiping my bum.  She seemed a little surprised, and stood there for a moment, before backing out.

We got to Geesje's a bit early (15-20 minutes) and sat in the car looking around, noticing the field full of solar panels that hadn't been there before, until another car load arrived. Geesje came out of the house to greet every one, in time for the third carload.  I had warned her that David would be with me and he had a couple of books, hoping to find a quiet corner.  However, Geesje introduced her husband, and I didn't see them again until we were leaving, when we found out that they had been chatting for the whole 2 1/2 hours.  Geesje was as surprised as I was.

It was the first face-to-face meeting in over 2 years, and it was wonderful.  There were 8 of us including a visitor, who was knowledgeable, interested and full of questions.  We went well over time, saw wonderful work, and they were even interested in the pitiful items I had brought with me.  Looking over my stuff, I realized that it was mainly hand work, and that is very topical right now.  We left by about 4:40, after buying some honey, after finding out that Geesje's husband is an apiarist, but were too tired to worry about supper, so ate a Smitty's, once we were back in the city.  We've never eaten there in the evening, and were pleasantly surprised with the reasonable prices and decent service, even if it was obvious that both waitresses were fairly new, and still being trained.

Thursday David was off to take some knives in for sharpening, and buy a belt, after dropping me off at Starbucks.  No belt, as David thought the price for a hand made belt --$50--was a little too high.  I'm hoping he reconsiders.

Saturday I went to Gail's in Landmark.  She is part of the Dawson Road Art Tour,  She and her friend Laurie, had thoroughly cleaned the house and set up a shop in the dining room, for the weekend.  Gail is not one for housework, but, fortunately, Laurie used to own and operate a house cleaning company, so when I say "they" cleaned, I think I know who did most of the work, although Gail has been saying that she was slowly cleaning up over the past couple of weeks.  I stayed about an hour, while they ate lunch, but left when several customers arrived.

Yesterday it was up early, and a meeting out in Selkirk, and what a mess that was, with no one presiding as the President has now moved to Alberta.  But things got done.  So, today, I'm hoping for some quiet time, and maybe some studio work?  If I can remember how to get there, and what I was doing

Be social ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment