Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Cooking Squash

 Today I'm off to my group in Lorette.  There are usually 4-5  of us, certainly that's been so over the summer.  Just my luck that today a couple more will  show up.  After belonging to the group for 5 years, despite us not meeting during Covid, I figured it was about time I took goodies.  So last week I bought 6 Smile cookies from Tim Horton's.  These are purely a charity purchase, with all proceeds going to local charities.  I put them in the freezer for the meeting today, and here they are thawing on the counter.  I have to  wonder if all six of them will make it to the meeting.



I had also spoken of the strange squash the neighbour had given us.  Here it is just before David started to cut it up for cooking.  It was cooked in two batches.  The first were wrapped in tinfoil, each quarter with a dab of margarine and a pinch of brown sugar.  The result was so dry that we had to add a lot of margarine and boiling water, and it was still like paste.  The next day David cut it into chunks and we boiled it with the skin on for about 13 minutes, by which time the water was very orange and cloudy, so I figured it was time to take them off the burner.  Then I had to take each chunk and take off the skin.  Fortunately it came easily--just very messy. Again I mixed the chunks, some of which were very, very soft, with some margarine, salt and pepper, using a fork.  It wasn't too bad, but still paste-y.  I don't think we'll ever try that again.  



In the studio, I'm back on the Frigid Sanctuary box, and would have had it finished yesterday, if my right wrist hadn't started to object.  Some of it was tough stitching, so I stopped right away, and used the Diclofenac ointment on the wrist, as well as my brace, over night.  The wrist feels much better this morning, but I think the best strategy is to let it rest today.  I won't even take my hand stitching to the group today--just the cookies.  Now I just have to  figure out how to type with one hand on my computer.

It appears to be a beautiful day out today.  Perfect for a drive in the country.  David is just getting home from paying the bills and he says it is too warm for him to be wearing his light jacket. And, I just looked at the time, and realized that I best be on my way as well.

Spend some time outside if you can.  It appears to be one of those very special fall days that make us happy to be living where we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment