Friday, October 19, 2012

Never rains but it pours--yet again

We've had so much rain in the past few days that everything seems to be greening up again.  This is the gentle soft rain that lasts for ever, but in fall has a bit of a bite to it.  In terms of other types of rain, we got up this morning to a furnace that wasn't working.  Over the past year we have been having trouble with a little plastic tube that runs between two sites on the furnace.  We can't find the right size tube to purchase, as it's available wholesale, but not retail.  Very simple to fix and the fix will hold for a couple of months. ( The other option is to replace the furnace)  You may remember, Beth, that we were looking for this type of tubing when we were in the States.  So that was the first thing we thought of, but it didn't appear to be the problem this time. So calls to heating companies, and we finally found one who said they would try to get someone out but it might be after hours and over time rates would apply ( $180.00/hr).  Then a surprise phone call and the fellow was here at noon ( probably over his lunch hour)  Now, we have arranged to have someone come in to replace the thermostat next week, and at first he thought this might be the problem, but on closer examination he discovered an tiny hole in the plastic tubing, right close to the connection. Quickly fixed, thank Goodness, but ka-ching, ka-ching.  This was the same company who are coming out next week, so he promised that he would tell the other fellow to make sure to bring a couple of feet of plastic tubing with him, as, after all, "you've just paid for it".

Otherwise it seems that we are just putting in time, waiting for next week.  I'm slowly packing a very small bag to take with me, but have been advised to keep it to essentials.  Today I tidied the basement.  Usually it just piles up until I can't stand it anymore, and then we have a purge.  We seem to be running out of things to purge, but I was till able to take a small bundle to the thrift store today.  While I was there I checked out vests for myself, but couldn't find anything.  One that fit very nicely was badly worn(pilled and rough).  I find it cool in the basement, but long sleeves get in the way of my work, so have found a vest to be the solution.  Unfortunately the one I've been wearing is showing its age and its encounters with paint and dye. Oh well, a reason to shop!

I guess for today, I'm grateful to be warm, at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment