Sunday, October 14, 2012

Quiet times

Not much going on.  I still haven't managed to figure out how to post pictures. I confess that I haven't been trying too hard, just complaining about it.  Right now we seem to be just putting in time, waiting for my surgery.  I must be worried about it, at several levels, as I'm having trouble sleeping.

But, during the day, I manage to provide diversion by keeping busy in the studio.   I had a larger hanging, that wasn't terribly  exciting, so I decided to use it to try out a new technique, that I think I might use in my next project. Since the piece wasn't going anywhere, what did I have to lose?  Well, the technique brought the piece to life.  I'm very pleased.  So I finished it and it's now hung on the wall.

Now I have two more projects in the preliminary stages. Both will be long term, and I'm deliberately doing this so that I will have lots to keep me busy after the surgery.  I've been warned that I can expect to have to stay very close to home for about 4 weeks, and know I'll go mad without something to do.

Yesterday, the spagetti squash I got from my friend Gail, fell on the floor and broke. ( yes, we abuse our vegetables around here) I had planned it for supper, but ended up cooking it for lunch.  Glad I did. I ate it but won't be in any hurry to eat one again.  But I had asked people how to cook it, and got several different suggestions (very different). So I tried to look it up in all of my cook books.  I found references to summer squash and winter squash, but nothing further to identify which squashes were which.

How are your hands Beth?  All of that work would be beyond me, and I worry about you..

 David put all of the leaves through the lawnmower and then into the compost.  We have a new garbage/recycling system here.  Looks like lots of problems to come.  Our Wednesday recycling was picked up late Thursday, but some people have had no pick up for over two weeks.  Unfortunately this was in one of the more upscale neighbourhoods, so there was much publicity. Now the company has been told that they have until midnight tonight ( Sunday) to catch up with all of their pick ups or the city is going to hire private contractors to step in.  Actually, it seems that the company has been subject to poor performance fines since early September.  Our concern is more that the containers are subject to a lot of abuse during pick up (we've been watching), and have to be left actually on the street for pick up.  The first day, one of ours was hit by a car trying to turn around in our driveway.  Since they are of plastic, and will be come much more fragile in cold weather, we expect to have to replace them fairly often, but they are quite costly.

But I guess life can't be all bad when all we have to complain about is late garbage pick-up.  I have a nice Sunday supper planned, and all day to work in the studio.  This time of year, David has football games to watch, and I think he enjoys that.

No comments:

Post a Comment