Monday, September 8, 2014

Catch up

Cathy. I never answered your question about what I power cook.  I think you probably have more variety than I do.  I know you freeze such things as potato dishes, and you even gave me a recipe for one.  
I freeze things, including Daddy's Ribs in two serving portions.  From what you've told us, you often have no idea how many people you will be feeding at any given meal.  I very rarely have a surprise guest, but it's easy enough to pull out a second package, if I need to.  I seldom make only one meal when I'm cooking ( except stir fries--only make enough for two with those).  There is usually enough to freeze for another day. Yes, I used to buy a good roast, and then cut it up into slices for Swiss Steak, chunks for stew, chunks to cook off and freeze in gravy, and leave enough for the two of us to enjoy an oven roast plus with a couple of slices of left over roast for a sandwich for lunch.  Although, with the price of beef, I may not being doing that for awhile.  

I like boneless chicken thighs.  I brown them off and then put them in the slow cooker with a gravy I make with a can of condensed mushroom soup, a packet of French's Mushroom gravy mix ( two for $1.25 at Dollarama), and a soup can of water.  I will also put the browned off thighs in Safeway Select Honey Garlic B-B-Q Sauce, either cooking them in the slow cooker or as a simple casserole.

One pork tenderloin will feed us for two meals.  I cut it into medallions, brown it off, and cook with French's Mushroom Gravy, and a can of mushrooms--then freeze half of it. It's not half bad with the Honey Garlic B-B-Q sauce either.  I sometimes make a slow cooker ful of meatballs in French's Ragout Sauce, and then divide it up into single meal portions.

Left over roast turkey slices are often frozen in gravy.  When I make the turkey gravy, I make if thinner, than if I was going to serve it immediately, and add a package of French's Turkey Gravy for extra flavour.  Left over turkey scraps are frozen to use in stir fries or casseroles or French meat loaf. Left over white rice is frozen in 1 1/2 cup bags for casseroles or rice pudding, or even fried rice.

Okay, too much information??

No comments:

Post a Comment