Saturday, September 20, 2014

"Tis done!

Today I taught a mixed media class to members of the local art club.  I joined this club to learn from these artists, and sure never thought that I would ever be able to teach them anything.  The class went well. I worried that there were slow sections, but the feedback was that it was well paced.  I have had problems in the past trying to include too much in my classes.

I have spent a lot of time and energy over the past few weeks preparing for the class.  It is the last thing I have scheduled before my surgery next month.

The bathroom renovations however, went South quite quickly.  They were to be completed in a few hour on Thursday.  The plumber had arrived Wednesday to remove the toilet and the make repairs to the problem that necessitated replacing the entire floor, and that was done.  However the sub-floor proved wetter than anticipated.  Lots of urgent phone calls and a re-visit from the original project estimator.  The small bit of mold we had has been treated chemically,and we have had industrial fans going in the bathroom since Thursday afternoon. We expect the flooring fellow back on Monday, and I believe he'll be here, as he left all of his tools in my spare bedroom.  We were then told that the plumber would be back Wednesday to install the new toilet.  David raised a little hell, and we have a tentative appointment with the plumber for Tuesday morning, provided the flooring is finished.  We are lulled to sleep by the sound of the two industrial fans in the next room.

This all means that the only toilet we have is off my studio in the basement, and when I need to use it, day or night, I have to get down those horrible stairs. They terrify me.  I prepare a Thermos of tea, and pack food and then spend the day down there.  Thank Goodness for my little bar fridge.  But at night, the trip down wakes me up, getting back to sleep is difficult--and this happens four or more times every night.  I am exhausted.

However, after a week in the freezer we now have our new duvet on the bed--just in time for the weather to improve.  I also have a bed skirt on my bed--a huge improvement--IMHO.  We are both rather liking it!  The duvet cover is a dark taupe, and the bed skirt dark brown, which matches my sheets.

So, we have had supper, such as it was. I have no intention of washing dishes tonight, and David has just delivered the last two chocolate chip cookies.  At this point what more could I ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment