Saturday, September 9, 2017

Among the missing?

Yeah, probably. 

 I'm very pleased to hear that the parents are feeding the baby bird.  This is the way that parenting skills are passed along between generations, so it's better in many, many ways than them abandoning the bird and you having to take on the task.  Cathy, I think any night spent in a hotel, especially one such as the Ft. Garry, is a treat.  I've heard that the food is great there as well.  We once attended a wedding reception there, and the meal was quite something.

David has now have two finished sets of "handles" and we have the finials for two more.  This is probably enough, but there are hexies coming out of the woodwork here.  I swear they multiply in the dark.  I should have my latest art piece finished today.  I have one side to hand finish, and then put on the hanging sleeve, again by hand. Since David is planning to watch the football game, I should have plenty of time to work on it, as well as putter with other studio stuff. I'm wanting to make some ATC's in hopes that the trading group will be meeting again at the end of the month.  So far, nothing has been heard.  I recently bought two sketch books labelled as being special for mixed media.  Well, I primed two of the sheets for the ATC's, and they both curled up terribly.  I've had them weighted for 48 hours, and there is still a bit of a curl to them.  Very disappointing. Mixed media bases are usually denser and heavier and more forgiving with added moisture. Over the past couple of weeks, I've been saving used tea bags, drying them out and ironing them, to be used with rubber stamps, and glued on to the ATC's as part of the decoration, along with other "stuff".

Last evening we went to the opening reception of the current exhibit, in the gallery my current pieces are going to, in November.  I was stunned by the prices being asked for the work there. I only saw two pieces of hand-thrown pottery that were priced under $100, and both were sold.  Most of the paintings and photographs were over $250.  My two hangings, priced at $145.00 and $185.00, were the cheapest there.  Even David said that they should each have been at least $100 more. This gives me reason to re-evaluate my stand on the prices being discussed by my fibre art group for our exhibit in November.  I have been quite vocal about being allowed to sell for the price I want, but obviously my thinking is out of date.  I've made such a fuss that I cringe at thinking about reversing my stand.

Earlier in the week there was another meeting about the craft sale at the end of the month.  I clashed with the same woman as I had clashed with last time.  After the meeting I tried to smooth things over by apologizing for being a "pinta", and got another tirade about how experienced and skilled she is, and how she always gets along with people, and how everything will work out if we just expect the best in people.  Relative to craft sales, that is not my experience, so good luck with that.  Obviously I've made an enemy there, so I think I'll look elsewhere for volunteer opportunities.

It's now 11:00, and I'm still in my nightie.   I didn't finish my household job list yesterday, so have a couple of things to do before settling in the studio.  The weather is supposed to be much warmer over the next week.  Enjoy it while we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment