Monday, February 11, 2019

Quiet times

Nothing as exciting as a new car around here.  Not that we couldn't use one, but we're praying that this one will last another year or so.  We're sticking pretty close to home, given the very cold temperatures.  So far we've managed by putting on an extra layer around the house, but broke down yesterday and turned the heat up a couple of degrees.  I opened the blinds in the bedroom, and was shocked to see how much ice had collected on the window--at least an inch thick in one spot.

Today there was a meeting out in Selkirk.  A woman came to give us a "quick" presentation on a community event to be held next November.  I put "quick" in quotation marks as the Chairman finally told her after 50 minutes that we would have to move on.  It was an interesting presentation, with lots of interesting statistics, but she was really "preaching to the choir" as our organization had participated in the event for the last three years. This really screwed up our meeting time, and it was so rushed and so busy that I came home exhausted.

Doing a lot of reading.  I started another book by Nicholas Sparks and soon realized that it was the third book of his, in a row, that had the same basic plot.  I have to believe that others will be somewhat the same.  So now I have a small pile of thrillers to go through, but I've ordered so many from the library that I'm hesitant to get more for fear that I'll have a pile of 15, as due back in 3 weeks.  That happened once before.

Still trying to stick closely to my diet.  To that end, I have bought avocados.  I've resisted that in the past, as they don't keep very long and are costly, but now I know that they really do change the flavour of various dishes, including -hold your breath-tacos.  Yes, I found a recipe in the book for tacos, tried it, and love them.  A really filling meal. I wasn't sure what I was getting into, so Googled "How to eat a taco".  What it said in three paragraphs was basically-  wear a bib and use a napkin-They're messy.  It was right.  I still plan to eat them again.  The other dish I found nice, using avocados- was "Green Grape Smoothie".  Since I have a lot of green grapes frozen I can make it anytime.

Now to get some supper, and look forward to an exciting (?) evening playing poker.


No comments:

Post a Comment