Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Win some, lose some--or is that lose-lose

A warmer day, but that has it's own problems.  Started with David heading out first thing this morning, to blow snow.  We should know by now that if it warms up a bit, there is for sure going to be more snow.  David and the neighbour had just about finished the job, when the city decided that it was time to plow the street.  Our street is only one block long.  There were four graders and three loaders on the street at the same time.  No snow was taken away, but a whole bunch was moved to various places along the block.  Unfortunately for us there was a big SUV parked right at the bottom of our driveway.  Of course they couldn't tow it, and just plowed around it leaving a big winrow.  Then, in trying to cleaning winrows from all the driveways, they left piles of snow, and David and Lloyd had to go out again with the snowblowers and re-do what they had done earlier.  A little later the guy came and drove his SUV away leaving quite a mess.

A little later, while I was downstairs dealing with laundry, I found water on the floor.  This is always a little scary in that basement, as we've had at least one insurance claim for water in the basement already, and have really done nothing about curing the problem. ( A major, read $$$ job) Turned out that there were huge ice accumulations in both of the windows on the North  (driveway)and South (studio) sides of the house.  With the warmer weather the one on the North side was draining behind the big, good quality book case against that wall.   These windows are installed against the outside of the house, leaving a fairly thick cement wall before the opening into the actual wall into the basement.  The ice was 1 1/2" to 2" thick, on that wall.  David spent quite a long time chiseling some of it off, and then put a towel in the window, as we had to go out.  He finished the job after we got home.  Thank Goodness!

We had to go out to pick up some pills.  I had ordered them a week ago for David.  They needed to fax the doctor for permission to refill, and said they would phone when the pills were ready.  There had been no phone call, until I called this morning to find out what had happened. They were ready a week ago, and since they will only keep them waiting like that for a week, and can't put they back into stock, they would had had to destroy them, and perhaps bill us?  At $318.00 a refill?  

A stressful day?  What to do?  Well, I have found that I miss my blond, and my hair is quite salt-and-pepper without it, and I hate it. I made an appointment to get more blond.  Tomorrow afternoon at 1:00, knowing that David is going to get yet another bulb changed in the car tomorrow at 10:00.  The job usually takes less than hour ( we've done it a couple of times since the new year).  When I tell David, he tells me that because it's happened before they will be doing a full diagnostic and it might take quite awhile.  He would call and let me know so I could cancel the appointment.  Well, if he calls, I'll take a cab.

And that's my day--so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment