Sunday, October 3, 2021

I hate to say it, but....

 While you two are so busy closing your gardens, and getting ready for winter, I'm spending as much time as I can sitting in the garden, watching the birds and squirrels, and dozing off periodically.  I'm also worrying about the price of meat, and how to deal with it.  We're almost out of chicken breasts, and there is no way I'm prepared to spend as much as $9.00 apiece for them.  We don't even look at beef anymore, but are discussing getting a package of hamburger  to make meatballs with.  With Thanksgiving next weekend, David would like us to have a special meal, and we're considering roasting a chicken. The small fryer size ones were just under $20.00, but maybe we'll just pick up a B-B-q'd one for $12.00.  They used to be $6.99.

Tonight I cooked four of the breasts we had in the freezer.  We cut them into small pieces which make it much easier to use them, in Dr. Phil recipes, over the next few days.  We were lucky, as I ended up with six portions, out of four breasts.

But enough of that.  I decided to make a small traditional quilt, using my treasured Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  There was just enough fabric for the pattern I had chosen.  I put together one square to make sure that pattern was true.  It wasn't.  So I worked backwards to see where the problem was, and didn't find it until I made it all the way back to the square I had drafted to guide the cutting of the pieces.  Somehow, I had made one side of the actual square only 11 3/4", rather than 12".

So I have re-drafted the darn thing, but need to salvage as much of the cut pieces as I can, so am laboriously taking my finished square apart.  A couple of pieces have sides cut on the bias, so it has to be done very carefully. I figure the taking apart is justified penance for the mistake I made.

No plans for the next week.  The weather forecast predicts lots of sitting time in the garden, and I plan to take advantage of every minute of it.  I know that there will be, at least, one trip to the grocery store, and that makes me sad, but it's necessary.  This may be our only blessing right now, so I plan to enjoy every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment