Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Talk about lower standards!

Our Thanksgiving was Sunday, but there are no pictures.  We had take out from the local Sobey's .  A very nice roast chicken.  We got our dinner from it, both lunches yesterday, and then I made my infamous Chicken Rice Casserole for supper yesterday.  I haven't made that casserole in years, as the family almost staged a revolt against it, and David's Father almost begged me not to make it again.  Yesterday I put French Fried onion salad-topping bits on top and the casserole benefitted from them. We got coleslaw with our roast chicken, and deep fried onion rings.  There really is nothing like take-out, cold, greasy onion rings.  Really. Nothing like. It was a large box and at least half went in the garbage.  But the two of us enjoyed our dinner, tarting it up with real plates rather than paper, and stainless steel cutlery, instead of plastic.

Making the casserole I discovered that there was no mushroom soup, and no milk to make a white sauce with, so off to the Giant Tiger for milk.  While there I found the wonderful long sleeved tops that I bought awhile ago on sale, and came home with three more of those, as well as four pair of furry socks ($6)to wear in bed.  Anyway, I remembered the white sauce from grade 8 Home Economics, and tried to make it to use in lieu of the usual mushroom soup.  I used olive oil instead of butter, and corn starch instead of flour.  Cooking everything up, on the stove, stirring constantly, and nothing was happening.  Oh Oh. Then suddenly it all came together into a smooth blended sauce.  Thank Goodness! And that is a heartfelt thanks.  

We had enjoyed pumpkin pie last Friday, with left overs on Saturday, and Sunday, and were finishing up a second pie last night.  Right after dinner, I started to feel unwell, and suddenly realized that I was having a mild allergic reaction.  Most of my allergies are cumulative.  A little bit is okay but that little bit, taken more frequently, will set me off.  I think it was probably ginger in the pumpkin pies.  It's been years since I reacted to ginger, but then, I usually try to avoid it.  We had no Benadryl, so I took a Claritin, and a couple of Tylenol, and soon settled down, but left the rest of the pie to David.

As usual, on Thanksgiving weekend, we had a "Lion Ceremony".  David loaded the lion up in his newly painted wheelbarrow, and took him away to the garage.  Not much of a ceremony without family around to participate, but the deed is done.  Next year we'll probably move his throne ( a cinder block) to a different location in the garden.  I remember when he first came to us, he had a special place in with flowers, while this year he was isolated and alone.  I have a place chosen, where I'll still be able to see him from the kitchen window.

So, now to face the week, but I'll take each day at a a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment