Friday, October 8, 2021

I will try again

 Sitting outside, we amuse ourselves with the bird feeder.  We've identified a few birds other than crows or sparrows, such as a little nuthatch that's become a regular.  I had thought that the day I saw the merlin, it was a rare and unusual sighting, but he's been back a few times.  He just sits on the fence, rarely moving at all, and no other birds are seen as long as he's there.  Even the red squirrel makes himself scarce.  It's our secret hope that the Merlin catches him and eats him.  There is a big grey squirrel, who is very timid, but tries to come every day.  However, the red squirrel takes great exception to that and runs him off.  Even if the red spots him on the fence across the yard, he goes after him, and we don't see the grey for a couple of days. Right now the Juncos are back for their semi-annual visit.

Wednesday afternoon, I was out to Lorette for a craft afternoon at the seniors' centre.  They used to meet at the Chicken Chef restaurant.  I believe I mentioned this group  a couple of years ago, prior to Covid.  well, they've started up again, but at a different location, so that they can take goodies.  It was wonderful.  Lots of joking and good natured teasing.  There were about 8 of us.  Since it was the first meeting, the recreation person from the municipality came to introduce herself and tell us about the meal program they have there.  She also had to check our vaccination passports, but had never done it before, so one of the ladies had to show her how.  We found out that two of the ladies had been married on the same day, and both were celebrating their 68th wedding anniversary this week.  I was stunned.  I would never had figured the two of them for being that old.  At the beginning, I would have figured myself for one of the older ones there. Glad I kept my mouth shut.

Most of them were knitting or crocheting, but there was a beader working on a pattern for some moccasins.  I took a picture I'm working on using the techniques I learned in a Zoom workshop about using Inktense pencils, I took recently.  I hope to have the colouring finished tomorrow, and should be able to take a picture then. Between that and trying to prove the pattern for a small quilt I'm making out of my Kaffe Fassett- designed fabric, there is enough to do in the studio.  I thought I had the quilt started, but after trying to put two squares together, and not being able to, I knew there was a problem.  When drafting a 12 1/2" square, I had drawn two parallel sides of the square only 12 1/4" long.  It's a complex pattern, so there is a lot of ripping stitches to be done, but that's turned out to be something I can do easily outside!  There isn't enough fabric to just start over, so I have to re-use as much as I can.

In terms of Thanksgiving, we have found out that Sobey's is advertising a meal to feed four, with a roasted chicken, a 2L bottle of Coke, rolls, and two sides dishes, such as potatoes or salad, for $16.99.  Since the chickens we found for sale were close to $30, and the turkeys twice that, we figure we can't go wrong.  Just add a pumpkin pie, and we might even have leftovers.  David found out that, rather than running around the store looking for all of the parts of it, I can just call ahead and it will be ready for me when I get there.

On a family note, after Amber and I had a lengthy conversation Wednesday evening, we ran into her and Jessica at Walmart today.  After leaving them both, David and I acknowledged that if we hadn't   been told, and seen her with Amber, neither of us would have recognized Jessica.  It's been almost 3 years since we've seen her,  she has slimmed down, and girls her age change quickly.  She is graduating from grade 12 this year, and Samantha has started grade 9, which means that she's moved over to the high school.  It was nice to be brought up to date with what the two of them are up to.

Otherwise, it's still "same old, same old", in terms of how we spend our days. I'm not sleeping well, and have found out that I need the 650mg Tylenol pills, rather that a generic 500mg one, that I bought by accident about a year ago.  We asked at Walmart, and the 650 generic one I've been using for years, is no longer available.  A bit of a kick in the pocketbook, but that's just how old age seems to work.

Goodnight for now.  Be safe ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment