Monday, July 18, 2022

Another milestone in aging

 This morning we arranged to have Victoria Life Line installed for both of us.  We had almost cried, prior to calling them, when we realized that our house only has one phone outlet, and it is wired in.  But the fellow just laughed and said that made things easier, as they could just send out a wireless unit.  But there is a stumbling block and that is their recommendation for a "lock box: or "Hidden Key".  Evidently these are easy enough to buy at a hardware store, but our locks have not been working very well lately, and we may need to get a locksmith out to sort them out.  Loren had wanted to be here during the install and training session but, unfortunately, has tested positive again, but he can maybe attend via speakerphone.

Yes, Cathy, it's too hot to do anything.  Even with the a/c I slept much better last night with my fan on, but didn't figure that out until about 5:00am.  Then I slept soundly until 10:30.  I'm blessed with how well the a/c keeps the basement cold enough to be wearing a sweater or light jacket when I'm down there.  It's ridiculous, but we had to wear light jackets in Starbucks yesterday when we sat to read for a bit.  But I will not complain about too much of a good thing.

As of today I am back on Dr. Phil.  We spent the weekend getting ready.  Bought lots of pre-washed baby spinach--at Walmart, of all places- as well as a big bag of Royal Gala apples.  The apples are smaller, less well formed, and slightly cheaper.  This is what I used when I first started the diet, yea those many years ago.  The bread machine is stored away under the stairs. There are no "goodies" in the house except Cheese Ritz crackers, and those are going to be hidden in the computer room.  (Yes, I know most of his "hidey holes, but out of sight, out of mind.)  No more wine, and no more dried cranberries or Haagen Das ice cream.  But I will force myself to be determined, and take my Zoom meetings in the studio.  I spend so much time sitting by the pantry door, working on my computer.

There are three big handwork jobs planned for the studio.  There is one more machine quilting job to do and then the machine goes in for servicing.  Then the three jobs mentioned should fill my time quite nicely until it comes home again.  I have a major hand beading piece to work on.  This will take weeks, if not months, to do.  There is a big EPP job that hasn't even been started.  I have the pattern, and most of the fabric, even a collection of papers, but have decided to cut more papers out of cardstock, which is better for my style of basting.  I'll use the lightweight papers to create templates to use for that job. Thirdly, I have another Maria Shell inspired piece in mind.  It will require lots of small pieces to be cut and then stitched together before I can start to assemble the larger piece.  The cutting should take quite awhile.  So, not problem keeping busy while the machine is in the shop.

So, it sounds like we have lots to keep us busy, even if it is "bloody" hot out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment