Friday, February 15, 2013

sloppy but not really wet here

Yesterday I volunteered at a local gallery.  We had been up late Wednesday evening, as Arrow is on at 10:00 here.  during the evening, I had been to my first quilt guild meeting in almost a year.  It was the 30th anniversary of the founding of the guild and they were honouring all of the ladies who have served as President during those years.  Since I had done a short stint as acting president, they included me, and I had received a phone call from the current President with a personal invitation to the event.  I was very nervous about going, and had probably built the situation up in my mind, but everyone was very nice and several people said they had missed me, and were glad I was back.  So on Thursday morning it was jump out of bed, curl your hair, and hit the road.  I had taken some sewing, and a book to read, as there is very little to do while you sit in the Gallery.  As it turned out, the lady who was partnered with me wanted to talk.  She was obviously not feeling well, but we chatted for about an hour and a half, and then sat a chatted some more while I stitched and she sketched.  She would ball up a piece of paper and then set it on the table and sketch --a sort of practice drill.  We had absolutely no customers come in, so the two of us sat there until closing time, locked up and came home.

When I got home, there was a message to call a friend.  This friend had been supposed to host the afternoon meeting of my Tuesday stitchery group but had cancelled at the last minute, as her beloved parrot had had a seizure Tuesday morning.  With the help of a friend they had managed to revive the parrot and the poor thing was nursed gently all day Tuesday, but now I was told that it had died on Wednesday.  My friend was quite upset, as they had been together for 20 years and little Jennie was a real pet.

Today we took my sewing machine in for servicing.  I have planned my work so that it won't be missed too much, but was hoping it would be ready for me on Tuesday.  Unfortunately, we were given no guarantees, and it might be next Saturday before we get it back.  So I was grateful today to receive two books I had ordered on machine quilting.  As I had refused to pay for "expediated" delivery, they had been sent from the USA through the post office, and I had thought it might be 5-6 weeks before I saw them.  Timely as they will keep me busy and off the streets for this evening.





No comments:

Post a Comment