Monday, June 22, 2015

down memory lane

Last night, just before bed, a low budget tv show came on, made here in Winnipeg.  It's called "Buy it, Fix it, Sell It".  Strange people buy very strange things at a local Auction house, and then fix them up--sometimes to the point of being unrecognizable--and try to sell it for lots of cash.  One man bought an old bicycle, and turned it into a vanity, including adding a sink--I kid you not.  Then he tried to sell it to the man who bought the old Park Theatre, and is trying to turn it into a venue for live music.  Are you still with me?  Well, it fit quite nicely into a washroom, that was being renovated, and a deal was made.  However, the cameras took us on a tour of the theatre.  The seats are gone, as is the screen.  The floor no longer appeared to slant ( I could be wrong about that)  There is the stage--I think the original one, and the lobby appeared well tarted up.  All I could think of was the many years that we spent every Saturday afternoon there, usually watching a duster or two.  Fifteen cents would get us admitted, and buy us an " all day sucker".  This may be more one of my memories, rather than you two, but I think you both were able to catch part of it.  Every Saturday afternoon--a double feature, and cartoon.  Sometimes the kids would get unruly, and they would stop the movie, turn up the lights and the owner would tell everyone to calm down and be quiet.

I remember Daddy telling us how, during the depression, the theatre would be renovated every couple of years, so as to provide a little work for the men in the neighbourhood.  Even when I was going there were regular "rag drives' with prizes for the biggest load turned in.

I'll have to see if I can stumble onto the tv show again.

No comments:

Post a Comment