Tuesday, May 24, 2022

A mixed Blessing

 This weekend turned out to be a bit of a mixed blessing--some good, and some not so good.  After up-grading our internet and tv service, David was quite upset about losing his Turner Classic Movie channel.  I also lost PBS out of Detroit but had reconciled to no longer having it.  Saturday, David called Shaw and arranged to get both channels back at a cost of $6 each.  So, our effort to save $11 per month ended up costing us $1 per month more. But I have to say that the last couple of days he's spent a lot of time exploring the channels we've gained, and that keeps him off the streets. 

However--ta da--after sorting that out with the fellow, David was asked if there was anything else that they could do for him.  They really shouldn't have asked that.  David has been without Shaw e-mail since March, and asked if it would be re-activated.  I don't know what went on after that, but I do know David finally arrived at the kitchen door demanding that I speak with the fellow.  And so I did--for two hours, with both mine and David's computers side-by-side trying to--would you believe--change the password?  Finally, after trying everything the fellow could think of, the job was done.  I have to say that I don't think I've ever talked to anyone at a problem-solving service like this, with such patience and good humor.  I said this in the notes when we got an evaluation request from Shaw, the next day.

But--the next morning, I was asked to supply a password for MY Shaw e-mail. My heart almost stopped.  Having memorized the damn password thoroughly, I gamely typed it in--and it worked!

Sunday, we decided to go out, David to Walmart, with me dropped off at Starbucks while he shopped.  On our way out we checked the Lady Slippers.  There are 6 up, and they look healthy.  I turned to head for the car and was half way across the patio when I heard a crash.  There was David, flat on his back on the ground, with his legs all mixed up with the extension of the downspout.  The extension is toast, but David survived, with a big piece of skin off the side of his head.  Thank Goodness I had some oversize Band-aids in the closet, from last time this happened.

Do I really think a cup of coffee is worth this worry?  Well we're going to try again today.  He's out now getting an appointment for an estimate for the little scratch I put on the car.  Then he'll pick me up, drop me at Starbucks, and head for Walmart--to buy more oversize Bandaids.  A previous, rough estimate, of car repairs, was $2000, but now I have a claim #, we need to get down to details. Gonna' cost me in the long run, with extra charges on my license,

Best get my shoes on, and find my jacket.  Be safe ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment