Monday, February 8, 2010

Time to post again!

Pati here
I just realized that it's been awhile. And what have I been doing during that time? Went to the gallery opening Thursday evening. A very nice show, but two of my pieces looked insignificant amongst other out standing pieces. Now don't be snorting at me. There were two huge pieces--about 3-4 feet square. They were sheet metal-(steel?)--that had a hole cut out of the centre where there were hand-fired glass pieces inserted. These pieces had to have special hanging systems--to deal with the weight I suspect. Cathy, this person had a piece in the show that we hung in Neepawa but it was a much smaller piece. There were also three pieces by a mosaic artist. These were probably, at least, 30 inches square, maybe more. She does mosaic work but doesn't just use tiles. Some of the tiles she does use are hand made, but they are used in conjunction with other found objects such as larger ball bearings, washers, and rocks. These "things" are all carefully arranged and then grouted in place and the whole thing framed. I've been aware of this lady for quite awhile, and very much admire her work. The two pieces of mine were only about a foot square and very light coloured. So, while they were certainly representative of what I'm doing right now, and well made with careful thought to colour theory and elements of design, next to the larger, heavier more visibly obvious pieces, mine appeared insignificant.

My electric razor died a while back. What the heck!! It was only about 30 years old and should have worked for 30 more years. So I bought some Nair and tried to use it Saturday night. Well-- that stuff is lethal! I now have hairy, burnt armpits. Do you know what a nuisense this is? Then yesterday the toilet seat broke. Have I offended the gods yet again?

And it snows! On one of my internet groups all the ladies in the Soutern states are finally able to try some snow dyeing ( don't ask) So even a rogue snoww storm brings joy somehwere.

No comments:

Post a Comment