Tuesday, April 13, 2010

weekend over--Whe-e-e-w!

and I survived. Had volunteered for 3 hours Friday morning asking for a sitting job, and ended up pushing a w/c around the show. They had brought a group of seniors and one lady was blind. She had her wits aobut her and was quite discouraged. So I took her around and verbally described each piece, allowing her to touch those she chose to, carefully explaining to anyone around us that I had permission to do so. ( I gave myself permission). She was quite grateful, and I was quite tired so went home to bed for 3 hours. Then i got up and went back for the trunk show that evening, forgetting my hearing aid. I found a nice front row seat and had a meltdown when I was asked to move to the back. I guess I scared them, because they let me stay, and I was joined in the front row by 3 other executive members. The show was by the lady from the Kitambaa blog, and quite interesting. afterward she sold some of the goods the African ladies make , as well as African fabrics. Of course I spent too much money.

The workshop on Saturday was wonderful. Again I bought extra fabric, and spent more money I didn't have. But during the lunch break, I went through the vendors and nothing--repeat--nothing-- appealed to me. I bought a handful of polymer clay buttons from the Polymer Clay Lady, and $10.00 worth of silent auction tickets, but that's all. Saturday, again I went straight home to bed and then vegged out for most of the evening. But after Sunday's class, I was feeling well enough to go out for supper, rather than cooking.

I had taken the workshop as a means of "jump starting" my creativity, and I'm quite pleased with the piece I made. I bought a second kit and am working on the second piece--which will be quite different. Since I'm putting together some "stock" using scraps of the African fabric, I need to make the piece first, so that I have scraps to use. Then I can participate in local sales that require that the goods have their basis in re-cycling.

But now sale deadlines are looming and I need to get to work. I had some stuff in the boutique at the quilt show and sold very little ( no-one sold much). I'm only making the small "crafty" stuff until after the two shows I have in the next three weeks, then I'll evaluate things. I have a hunch that this might be a pretty lean year.

Amber did our taxes, and we will come away with a bit of a refund. David is seeing an opthamologist Friday, about his cataracts. He's having more and more trouble seeing, and we may be just about at the point of surgery. I know that the government won't pay for good implants ( or whatever it is that they do) so the refund may well be going for that.

David sold some of his coins a couple of weeks back--not much money but I think he wants to save that towards some sort of trip. The rest of his coins weren't deemed to have more than face value, so they were given to Jeremy, who loves to save and play with coins ( a function of his Asperger's, according t0 Loren). Jeremy turned 13 last month, so didn't get a "formal" birthday present, but Loren brought him over while I was away Saturday, and Jeremy and his grandfather spent some time going through the coins and sorting them out. Time well spent for all three of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment