Friday, June 11, 2010

Be - Time flies

I guess it is true that time flies when you are having fun - so, OK, I am not really having fun, but time did fly by and before I knew it, a week went by since my last blog. Shame on me....
And nothing really exciting to tell you about except we bought a rose and planted it. We tried roses before a long time ago but they never wintered over and always died. So this time we went to a real Nursery and bought a really good rose bush. It is a hardy type called Hunter and is a brilliant red, double bloom with " a delicious fragrance set off by clean, glossy dark-green foliage" It is planted, as per instructions, in a sunny spot, which happens to be right in the middle of the garden. I have wild roses growing along the trellis, and a wild rose tree in the back yard that do wonderfully well every year, so heres hoping this rose bush will thrive. I also saw a Russian Olive tree at the Nursery and was tempted but did not buy. When we first moved to this house I bought one and it grew for about three or four years but then died. So I have never tried again, and will likely not ever. We went to a park in the next town today to walk the dog as we frequently do because we do our grocery shopping there at Foodland. We ran into a couple we know who do landscaping - they were making a new town park garden and just about finished it after a few years of evolving. It is a tribute to Tom Thomson from the Group of Seven artists so of course the garden comes complete with a canoe and rocks and water. But the point of my story is to say they told us to drive into their yard on our way home and see their Irises. We had not been to their place before, so took the drive in. They live in a "mansion" on the river and their yard is magnificent complete with ponds and rock gardens etc. They have a long driveway and along both sides are gardens full of every coloured iris - bearded Irises mostly but unbelievable colours including varigated. They are going to split them once they finish blooming and have offered us some if we want. We are tempted to take them up on the offer - just gorgeous!
Well, the weekend is upon us again and Harry will go to his garage sales in the morning but this time I will go along because we have to go up to North Bay to check on Mikes place. I do not get out of the car when he goes to sales, so maybe I better take a book along to keep me company haha. Hope you both have a good weekend and survive some of this less than stellar weather we have been having. It was very damp and cold for a few days although right now the temperature is just fine but it is supposed to rain again tomorrow. At least the fire ban has been lifted so if only I could get out to make a fire in our stove. In the spring I cleaned it all out and prepared it to light but have not been able to because of the dry conditions. Besides, sitting by a nice fire pit all by yourself isn't really much fun! So be warned Cathy that I am looking forward to an evening by the fire when I come. Take care.....

No comments:

Post a Comment