Thursday, June 24, 2010

Exciting times at the dentist

We had a negotiation about what we were going to do--since my insurance is all used up and we were talking big money. I even offered the option of pulling the damn thing out and forgetting about it until the insurance kicks in again next January. The problem is that there is now a cavity under the crown. This means cutting the crown off, probably doing a root canal, and then making a whole new crown---about $1200. So we started. Double mandibular block (ouch!!) Then he tried to pry the cown off to see if maybe it could be re-used. No dice! When Tregobov put on a crown it was there to stay! So he had to drill it off. It's a lower right canine tooth, so he had to use dental dam to prevent any of the bits or chemicals from going down my throat. Started to put that on and TOTAL FREAK OUT!! I just couldn't deal with it. Don't know what the problem might be. I certainly dealt with it years ago, but not now. So--off with the dam, lots of reassuring words etc. and then more negotations. He's now recommending that, to treat the tooth, I consider IV sedation ( Ka-ching additional $400), but if I can't afford that, I live with it until the pain becomes unbearable. Hopefully, I can last long enough that the insurance kicks in again. He really doesn't want to pull it, as he says that structurally, it's critical for the alignment of the jaw because of it's position. And he isn't sure from the x-rays but thinks that there may even be some involvement with the next tooth---also crowned.

Now, I know my respiratory function isn't what it once was, and I have experienced a fear of not being able to breath before. Maybe it's time to find out what is going on.

Last night Faith came to pick up the sewing machine. She appeared a little stunned and I'm sure I saw real lust on her face when she saw both the machine and all of the attachments. She was right in there playing with it, ended up picking it up and refusing to put it down, even when they got out to the car. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for her, although we've had very little interaction. She is actually Mary Lou's grand daughter. She was badly burned as a child, and her mother was either too "ditzy" or too high to care for her properly. So the poor kid has signifcant burn scarring on her legs. Her father was the nurturing parent, and he committed suicide about two years ago. I feel very comfortable giving her the machine.

But now I have to re-arrange and clean both the storeroo0m and the studio. A job that's needed doing for some time. Well, other than the floors, it's done. There will still be a bit or re-organization when I get the table for the new machine, but for now it's set up. The big emotional adjustment was in packing up the Pfaff and putting it away. And now we have a huge load to take to the thrift store, but it sure feels great to have the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment