Sunday, June 20, 2010

Stockpiling food

I'm very used to having to supply food for everyone when we spend time at the lake. When i spoke of this to Dianne she said " Are you nuts? Tell them to bring their own food. Or better yet tell them that they have to feed you as well. It's your lake!" But when she visited she ate everything I served her.

But yes, living on a pension, and actually, even before then, when I anticipate extra people to feed, I buy a little extra whenever I shop in the weeks leading up to it. Right now I can tell you that we'll be having meat balls in honey garlic sauce for supper Saturday night at the lake. Both the meatballs and the sauce are tucked away. I also have rhubarb tucked away for pie. One of the things that my kids complained about was that I have food so organized. Loren's ex-wife thought it was horrible that I calculated serving sizes when I planned a meal. Her mother was able to feed anyone who walked in the door, expected or not, whenever she prepared a meal. I realize that this is common in some cultures, but it can sure lead to a lot of wasted food. Even worse, if there is left over food, I know I'll eat it--and I know I don't need it.

As of yesterday, I believe that I have enough stock for all of the sales. Now I can relax and play--hopefully for the next few months. I'm almost giddy with excitement. I've bought a couple of books, and over the next little while I plan to slowly ( or not so slowly) work my way through them.

Beth, if we can get tickets for Rainbow Stage while you're with us, would you be interested?

No comments:

Post a Comment