Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hurry up and wait

I think we share your take on life Cathy.  It seems as though we spend most of the time, putting in time, waiting for something to happen.  This has seemed like the longest month in years!  We were broke this month, which meant we tended to stay at home and wait for next months pension!  Being so hot, we just sat inside with the a/c on.  Neither of us sleeps well with the a/c on, but in the heat we don't sleep well either.  I was awake at 5:00am and the a/c was chugging along, so it didn't even cool off last night. Strange for the end of August.  David loves to watch the weather channel, and told me that the only place shown that was hotter than Winnipeg was Las Vegas.  We were even hotter than Houston!

So we sit and read, or sit and play solitaire, or sit and play poker, or sit and watch reality shows. Lately we've spent a lot of time supervising the workers acrosss the street, but that job appears to be about finished.  We think they were replacing the weeping tiles for the church across the street.  In this horrible heat those poor men were shoveling a deep trench all around the building, loading the mud into wheelbarrows and then pushing them out onto the street to dump them.  Then  a big truck came and picked up the mud ( after the heavy rain I told you about awhile back).  Then the truck came along and dumped just about the same amount of gravel, which they loaded into the wheelbarrows with shovels and took it to dump in the trench.

David loves to watch old movies, and for the past week, I've been spending a fair bit of time in the studio. We are going to the lake next weekend,with Amber and the girls. So the next couple of days will be getting ready for that. This means baking--with the a/c on.  I have to get everything ready, with just enough packed to meet our needs, so that there is nothing to bring home except garbage. So perhaps I should phone Amber and plan some menues together.

So for what should I be grateful?  A/c for sure, but also for finally getting down to work on an old piece started awhile ago. This is the one that we took the picture for, on the Kenora bypass, Beth.  It has been sitting around for about two years, with me struggling to figure out what was going to happen with it.  Last October, at my retreat, I asked for help and one lady made a suggestion.  I suddenly realized that I need to have it finished for this year's retreat--at the end of September.  So I dove in and started to do things to it.  I'm very grateful that those things are working well, and I should be able to get it done on target.

No comments:

Post a Comment