Thursday, February 2, 2012

Life on the pension or the joys of retirement

We haven't been out since Monday, but, after spending the morning making sourdough bread,  and since trying to sit in my sewing chair and almost killing himself,  David decided that I needed a new chair.   I needed yet more containers from Lee Valley, so it was time for an excursion.  I refused to leave the house until I had put a curling iron to my hair, which should have been washed yesterday, and David tried to shave, but it had been so long that his electric razor wouldn't do the trick and he had to resort to the safety razor. We were going to do a lot of comparison shopping, but bought a chair in the first store we tried. The last one was bought at a garage sale for $25, before we left Woodside, so really didn't owe us anything. The store we found was a used furniture store and the newer chair cost a lot more than $25.  ( but it is really an improvement on the old one!) Then I got my containers ( Empress and Ellice)and then decided to buy more beads, so we hit Michaels over on St James St.and I bought two smaller packages of beads.  I had been surprized to find what I wanted there, and figured we were on a roll by this time, so with the large armchair on wheels in the back seat, headed over to our side of town where we went into the fabric store and after a lengthy discussion about colour, bought two spools of thread, of a colour to match the beads. Then off to the grocery store and bought 3 cans of beans.  This gave me a chance to try out the "check your own groceries" aisle, and we emerged from that unscathed.  Hot Damn!  Checked 5-6 lottery tickets and won $5.00, which we immediately spent on more lottery tickets.  Then off to Tim Horton's and picked up a can of french vanilla capucino mix.  By the time we got home it was too late to make the casserole I had planned for supper, so put a frozen pizza in the oven.  These pizzas were $2.00 each, and are well worth the money. Usually one is a meal for the two of us, but David was really hungry, so we cooked a second one.  By the time we had eaten, it was going up 7:00 and we were both beat, so left the kitchen as it stood, and settled down to either watch tv or play poker.

Tommorrow, not only do I have to make up the casserole with the well thawed meat, but I also have to cook the pot roast we had planned for tomorrow, as that is thawed as well.  And since it looks like I'll be in the kitchen all day anyway, why not make the chili that we bought the beans for? We've been so lazy lately, that most of the casseroles I had frozen have been consumed, and the freezer needs re-filling.  But, Boy! have I ever been productive in the studio!

This excursion was obviously the highlight of our week, and I am grateful for not having to clean up the kitchen tonight.

Sorry to hear about Harry's brother, Beth.  Sounds scarey, and is maybe a hint that none of us is getting any younger.  Another elderly (88years old) lady was attacked and robbed here this week--after cashing in her pension cheque and taking the money to the drugstore to pay bills. It makes me very aware of how at risk older people are, not only from the physical effects of age, but also from the dangers  of our modern society.

No comments:

Post a Comment