Friday, August 17, 2012

Caught in the rain

The last few days have seen spells of quick rain showers throughout the day- you can see the skies turn a little dark and actually see the wall of rain coming close - twice I have been out with the dog, and once by myself to the bank, and missed been hit, but tonight I took the dog to the lake and sure enough we both got drenched coming home. It was refreshing really, and a good excuse to get into the house and get into my jammies!! Last night we had to do a lot of water pumping as it poured most of the night. We sure don't have to water the garden these days thank goodness. I picked crabapples today, and did down tomato juice, and made a batch of Million dollar pickles, and chili, and took a turkey out for a weekend feast. I tried to cut the grass in between showers today , but ( too bad!) the machine wouldn't start for me. Harry says there is a snake in the garden - he has seen it, so I am a bit on edge because I don't want to be surprised. I'm OK if I know it is there and can see it, but weeding and suddenly being surprised really scares me.
I  heard from my friend Sue by way of a letter this week, and then she just sent me an email suggesting a date of Oct 3 to meet for our lunch together. Spring and Fall we have always met in Huntsville at Swiss Chalet. I don't know what is on my agenda Oct 3 - too far ahead, but I responded affirmatively, and will play it by ear I guess. She types the longest letters about her activites and friends and family and I really enjoy the read, in spite of not knowing some of the people, and not believing what a wonderful life she lives. She just turned 70 on Aug 11 and got a new laptop computer from her family, so I am still wondering how nice it might be for me to get my own laptop. Just a thought right now, but who knows. I wish we had wireless capabilites because then I would be seriously thinking about getting one. In meantime, here I am at the computer when I can....
The lady across the street sold her house and is moving in three weeks to Toronto but had a sign up of things for sale. I went over and bought some stuff, and got free outdoor plants which I have since planted here in the garden. But what I did not know about her was how much she talked - she didn't stop from the time I went there and she rambles on about everything and also a bit of religious talk as well.I really never knew her the whole time she lived there, but now I am sort of glad I didn't as I can't take too much of that - it is exhausting to try to pay attention and listen!
Well, it was showering again, and the sun was shining - crazy weather. Time to go to bed and read my novel. Speaking of novels Cathy, I enjoyed reading yours just now. And I am so gald that you had two wonderful weeks off work and just relaxed - there's lots of time to do housework, ( or not!) so happy you accomplished nothing as you put it?  Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment