Friday, August 17, 2012

The Great Canadian Novel

The two of you have had enough posted the last couple of times to write an entire book!  I think I am a little jealous.  I will have to make up some adventures.  Curtis made us a cupboard for the kitchen.  It sits just at the top of the stairs, where the small (and messy) spice rack was.  It holds all our tea and spices, the cat food and still has 3 shelves.  We don't have the doors yet, but that is okay!  I feel guilty in a way that he does so much for us.  He really seems to enjoy doing things.  He has made us doors, hauls wood from the bush, chops wood......  and he quit smoking because everytime he lit a cigarette I smacked him on the side of the head.  At least that's what he tells people. I really don't think he enjoyed it much.  He just smoked because it was expected of him.  This is the last day of my holidays and I haven't done a thing. It has been great.  I puttered a bit, and made pickles and ate fresh tomatoes (what a chore!)  Cory fixed the quad for us.  I haven't had a ride yet this year.  The kids and the Hutterites have been all around.  The front bearings were gone, but Jim says it is much easier to drive now, because it doesn't pull.  I really hate this time of year.  The weather is still nice but we know what is coming.  Our heat spell finally broke and we had some very cool weather.  Our nights have been single digits (ie 5).  It is supposed to be hot again next week, but the nights will be cool.  Kik is back working full days again.  The summer student is done.  We all thought the 15th was her last day, but she said the 14th.  We think she counted July 1 as a working day but she really started on the 2nd.  It doesn't really matter since she worked her butt off while she was there.  We ended up giving her a "Dorm Room Package" as a parting gift.  She was on her way to North Dakota when she stopped in for her pay cheque so she couldn't really take anything large.  This had snacks and drinks and tylenol etc etc.   She is taking speech pathology.  I am hoping to skip meat draw tonight and spend the evening with Kik.  We might even go out for supper if she is feeling okay. The dust from harvest is really affecting her breathing and she has been feeling pretty rough the last couple of weeks.  I know she can't stay here.  Country life is not for someone with her allergies.   Jim just got up.  He finally had a good nights sleep (he says.... I keep wondering how he snores so much if he is awake all night)  I also wonder how he can sleep with the sheet, the blanket, the quilt and a double thick blanket, folded double on top of him.  I think I would suffocate!  Time to end my novel.  Today I am grateful that I was able to take 2 whole weeks off of work.  It made a difference to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment