Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hot and humid is right

We got up this morning fairly early and discovered next to no wind, so headed out on our bikes. Got part way up the trail and decided to go to the Tim's on Henderson instead of the one on Gateway. This meant hitting Helmsdale directly off the trail and going all the way, across Henderson and onto Kildonan Drive.  It really is a beautiful old street with many houses around the 100 year mark or more.  Many of them are very elegant, and are very well preserved and cared for, including the place David grew up in.  I think we mentioned that there had been a full page spread in the paper, a few years back, about  how it had been restored, but upgraded as well.  After leaving Tim's we went down Rowandale back to Kildonan Drive,and ran into my friend Darlene, and another acquaintance, Noreen, who were walking back to Darlene's house on Rowandale after picking up coffee at Tim;s. They must have been in there while we were, but missed seeing each other. You may remember Beth, that Darlene was a girlhood friend of Lea ( Alida), as Lea had moved to Rowandale when her family left Maplewood.  Darlene and Lea met up again when they both joined the quilters' guild here.

One of the reasons we had headed west, this morning, was that the trip that way is much more shaded than the one up our usual trail, and therefore much cooler.  But coming home, I mistakenly took us all the way down Kildonan Drive and across another way, instead of Helmsdale.  There were far fewer trees and the sun really got to me.  By the time we got back to Munroe we just headed straight for home.  I came to realize that I had never biked on that block of Munroe, even though it is very close to home.  We usually go further south and dipsy-doodle through other streets. I got home and almost collapsed from the heat and humidity.  David had to put the bikes away, and by the time he got in the house, I  had the windows closed, the air conditioning turned on, and was  ready to lie down.  We both slept for about an hour, before I felt human again. I just can't take the humidity anymore, and I know one of the drugs I take makes me photosensitive.  Later in the day Cousin Beryl phoned, wanting me to go to meet her for coffee, but I just didn't want to take a chance, so asked for a rain check.  I haven't been outside since.

Yeah, I've been pretty busy in the studio the past little while.  I'm pleased with what I have produced, and am now working on a couple of hangings. One will be finished for sure for Pinawa, and it really doesn't matter about the other one.  So far every thing has gone well  for the one piece.  So well, that if it continues, it might prove to be a piece that I could enter in competition.  I haven't done that sort of thing for quite awhile, but there is another big show here next March.  After being treated so poorly last time, I would love to take a prize in every class I am able to enter, even if it's only the one.  Not that I'm still pissed with them, or holding a grudge, or anything like that. No, actually, I'm more pissed that none of them noticed that I was angry.  Guess there wasn't much point in boycotting everything they did for a year.  Cutting off my nose to spite my face, you say?

Anyway, time for a poker tournament.  Have a good week, and keep cool

No comments:

Post a Comment