Saturday, June 22, 2013

We are melting

but we probably won't notice as we are both almost comatose with the heat.  It is a tough decision about whether or not to turn on the air conditioning.  Finally my studio is warm enough to work in without wearing sweat jackets, but this means that the kitchen is sweltering.  The nights have been cooler, so we are able to sleep.  I found the little fan I use in my booth at sales,and now have it in the kitchen, where I have my computer.

I have enough "stuff" for the sale in July, and some of it is actually new.  I really need some new "stuff" for my gallery show in December, and am wanting to start working on it fairly soon.  I have an idea and just about enough time to finish it for mid-July, but I'm not going to make myself crazy about it, although a new large hanging would be quite welcome.  Today David had to go out to buy some new screw eyes, and I asked if he could check to see if he could find any book rings ( those individual hinged rings that you can use to hold papers together that have had a hole punched in them. )  We have been looking for them and had been told that they were sold at Home Depot. Well, not there, and the staff didn't seem to know what he was talking about, but another customer told him to try Staples.  He came home with a little package of them in various sizes but two of the sizes will work just fine.  If I had enough of them I could continue taking a course in machine quilting that I have been enjoying, as I use them to hold my samples together.  Then he told me that they were in the process of putting them out into a clearance bin while he was there.  Well, that meant that we had to go back to get more!  We could only find three more packages, but one package held 34 of them and the other two about 10 each, in the size I wanted. So now I have over 50 of the things, and I'm wondering how many I will actually use in this lifetime.

Yes, I've been following the flooding in Alberta, too.  We never think of Alberta as having flooding problems, as far more often, it is drought that plagues them.  There was picture of the site of the Stampede,which is due to start in two weeks--it was well under water.  I was surprised to read that the only place for the zoo animals, if they have to be evacuated, is in holding cells in the jail.  Our paper has more about Alberta than south Winnipeg, but it did say that the homeowners were individually liable for any damages, and would have no "come back"against the city, even though the problem was the inability of the sewer and storm drain system to deal with the water.

Well, after over an hour sitting  in front of the fan, and playing on the computer, I'm feeling a little cooler.  maybe it's time to play poker.

No comments:

Post a Comment