Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Not quite the day we planned

We finally got the board covered after two layers of paint and switching to duct tape.  Then David went out to mail a letter, and to drop by the optometrist to try to get me an appointment. Over the past month my vision has been getting worse and I finally accepted the need to get glasses and rule out any serious problems.  The response was " How soon can she get here?"  So he rushed home to pick me up and off we went.  No serious problems, although soon I may have to have my lens implant cleaned by laser ( Say what!?)  But yes, I need glasses.  So we ordered those, and while they weren't cheap, they were less than I expected, and now I'm old enough for the gov't rebate for seniors.  They tried to sell me on progressive lenses but I wasn't having any of that!  Been there.  Didn't like it and can't afford it.

After dropping me off, David went to talk to a local renovation company about taking a look at our bathroom.  The toilet has been leaking ever since we had the floors done about 10 years ago.  The toilet has been re-installed twice without solving the problem and now the floor covering has a huge stain.  We have a pretty good hunch the sub-floor has been damaged and will need repair, as well.  Yesterday David had been into Home Depot to talk to them about it and was quickly told that they would consider it the renovation of a half bath and wouldn't talk to us for under $5000.  We just want to replace the floor!!  The company today spent a little more time, and will send out an estimator on Friday.  But they explained that, if they have to touch the sub-floor, it will mean complete renovation, including a total gut of the room.  Ka-chi-n-n-n-ing!

But, it may be partially covered by insurance.  While this sounds good at first, we have already had one claim this year when we had the basement flood.  A small claim, at the time, but a claim none-the-less. Even if we don't lose the insurance, it will still be much more expensive in future.

Needless to say, I'm a bit stunned at this point.  We are looking to the future, and accepting that we will have to sell the house, probably sooner rather than later, as we age.  There are a couple of updates needed if we are to get a decent price for it, but we were anticipating those in the long term, not today.  The bathroom was at the bottom of the list.  What's that old saying--"Man plans, God laughs"

So where is the joy in today?  I'm grateful that I don't have glaucoma.  And a little giddy at the thought of blue glass frames with silver trim.

No comments:

Post a Comment