Saturday, August 30, 2014

Interesting time working at the Fair....

We went as requested on Thursday for 1030 am to the fair grounds.  Our contact was not there so I went in to the show barn and offered to help out - many ladies there doing their thing but none of them accepted my help. Feeling awkward, I left and went outside where a bunch were trying to erect a tent. I jumped in and helped out best I could inspite of the lead hand who did not know how to put it up, and had the wrong poles on hand. Went back and forth many times to a shed bringing different sized poles and left me and a few others holding up the half erected tent. Harry was also helping here and so after looking for our contact again and not finding her, we left and came home feeling that we were not really needed. She called us the next day and apologized but as it turned out, she was put into an awful situation - the president resigned on the Thursday and she was left to pick up all the pieces and take over completely. She insisted that she was counting on us to help this morning for the parade and then for car races this afternoon. So, we went again for 9 am. I was to help judge the floats and organize the orderly flow of the parade (with another lady). It was fun but hectic and so I had a great time doing what I thought was best but never having done this before, did not really know. eg "Best running antique car" Best running antique tractor" What a hoot! Then over to the Fair grounds, and time for a hot dog, and then to the wooden car races (cub cars). I was to register the entries and then organize the schedule for the individual races or heats, to determine the eventual winners 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. What a hoot(again)! We got home about 3 pm. Don't you wonder sometimes what you get yourself into?? The rain held off for the day which was good because thunderstorms were forecast. it is raining now, and i hope it won't be too much as i would much rather go to bed than pump water haha.
Hope you weekend is going well. Tomorrow I'll have to catch up on housework - laundry etc. And the tables in the front room are completely covered with produce that I have to do down. Looked for more recipes for green tomatoes. How dos a green tomato pie sound to you? Anyway, really tired so off to bed Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment