Sunday, December 13, 2015

Riding the bus

No, we're not playing "31".  Amber says that if you were dropped off at Deacon's, she could pick you up.  I think she's as far from Deacon's as we are, but it's all highway driving.  However--you sound fine with the bus depot, and we're fighting over who's going to pick you up, so maybe, all's right with the world.

This morning, David and I finished the business of Advance Directives and setting up the ERIK system for Emergency Responders.  I'm exhausted, but this was a process that we started earlier this year, when we saw the lawyer about Power-of-Attorney for both of us.  It needed doing and "tis done.

A friend gave us a small Fruitcake, and then I happened to read a "feel good", fluffy book about fruit cakes.  (Say what--Chocolate fruitcake??)  I had no idea that many families have their own special recipe for it.  I enjoy a fresh, good quality fruit cake, and often, each year, buy a small one just for the two of us.  The friend who gave us the little one ( 4 portions--very tiny) says that she has a square wooden pan she cooks them in, and usually makes two, which she portions out over the Christmas Season.  Each cake uses fourteen pounds of fruit.  I spelled that out so there was no mis-understanding.  Every year she buys 28 pounds of fruit to make her cakes.  Anyway, I have a vague recollection of a fruitcake recipe handed down from Grannie McGrath--in her own writing.  I couldn't find it, but did find a poor photo copy of it--so poor that some of the measurements are missing or illegible.  I doubt it took 21 eggs.  Do either of you have a copy?  Not saying I want to make it, but who knows?  I did find Auntie Margaret's recipe for Vinatarta.  Loren used to make it for us years ago.  I also found a fruitcake recipe attributed to Madams Benoit.  Remember her?

No comments:

Post a Comment