Saturday, February 13, 2021

Something to watch play out and talk about

 Woke up to some excitement this morning. Finally something to talk about, after 5 months of lockdown, we needed something new to talk about. Our street is about  foot deep in water, as is a portion of Munroe. David says that the sound of the city equipment moving in woke him some time in the night, but he doesn't remember when. Originally, we thought the watermain break was at the South end of the street, but are now seeing workmen and equipment very busy on Munroe. Even the "temporary water supply" truck is out on Munroe.  But we have water, and we have no reason to want to go out today, so all is well in the Findlay household.

Well, not really, but nothing earth shattering to anyone but me. Yesterday, my sewing machine stopped behaving the way I expect, and as a punishment, I'm going to have to pay for a "Spa Treatment", as they call it at the repair business.  We discussed whether such a thing would be a priority, and require heading out into the water-filled street, but figured that no-one would look at it until, at least, Tuesday, given the holiday Monday, so we might as well relax and take the day as it comes.  I now have a bare minimum of pieces for the gallery show in May.  I would very much like two more, but, they aren't absolutely necessary.  So I will try to re-learn how to FMQ on my Pfaff, and get things done that way, if I can.

Otherwise, I'm still taking the workshop on working with text and fibre.  I lasts until the end of March.  I've barely kept up with the homework, as I've been obsessed with getting more done for the show, but will now maybe try a little harder to work along with the videos.  I have access to the videos, until the end of the year, so felt no need to rush, but now I maybe have the time.  We are currently making scroll books out of fibre. This is one of the main reasons I had to take the course, but have run into the roadblock of not having any access to whatever can been used at each end of the scroll.  Many of the ladies are using what can roughly be described as two pieces of dowel with flat round finials.  Most of the ladies doing this have husbands who are glad to make such things, but, I notice that the instructor doesn't use any such supports, and just ties the scrolls that she uses as samples.  That will have to suit me just fine--much easier to store.

Best to get on with the day.  With our new, physically less demanding, routine there is still laundry to do, and sewing machines to re-organize.  And tonight I have tv shows to look forward to.  Best get on with the day.  Stay safe and stay warm, ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment