Friday, November 13, 2009

Dental honesty

I'm glad I was honest with the dentist. I expressed my reservations about buying a partial plate with only one tooth on it. I could never get used to the mouth guard he made me a few years back, and I only wear my hearing aid when I'm going out--I'm just not a gadget person! Finally he mentioned that they could make me a temporary bridge, but it would mean going around for 10 days with a hole in my face. The cost would be no more than having the partial plate made. so this is what we're going to do.

The "Gallery Hop" last night was better than I expected. It was not the same beader, Cathy--this one does some really weird stuff! She is from Brandon, and actually has a fine arts degree in photography. She makes strange beaded pieces and then photographs them in fine detail. Last night she had the beaded pieces displayed next to the photos, and it made a very effective exhibit. Over supper I got mixed up with some some fellow fibre artists I knew (it was the only seat in the room). They were not encouraging about my work (is that diplomatic? They were subtly nasty!) But one of them is experimenting with fused glass. This is exactly the technique I had spent a bit of time last weekend discussing. I think I may explore it a bit more over the next few months. This might be one way to incorporate something (glass) into my work without having to give credit, and away of having more control over what the incorporated piece actually looks like. I don't think I would do it myself, but my friend Gail says that it just uses scraps, and she can fill her kiln with scraps and end up with several with the only cost being one firing.

No comments:

Post a Comment