Thursday, November 12, 2009

Putzing around

So far this week I like to think I'm on holiday too. I've been clearing up loose ends in the studio ( Your quilt is fixed Cathy) There was a quilt I had made that was "just wrong!" But it contained all of the Japanese fabrics I bought at Quilt Canada in Ottawa, and I refused to throw away all that money. So I cut it all into as many 2inch strips as I could, even piecing some of them to get a 20" length. Now I'm quilting black fabric and cutting it into 2" by 20" strips. Then I'm going to butt them lengthwise and zig zag them together. I don't know what I may end up with, but at the minimum I could end up with a lap robe.

Yesterday was Jessica's birthday party. David and I met them at Ruckers to pick up Samantha. I had wanted to see the place, so Samantha and I went in. At first she was enthralled and walked around the whole place, but then went into sensory overload and started to cry. So we quickly took her out and brought her home. Amber told us that all of the children had a ball, and most of the parents stayed and played games too, including a couple that hadn't intended to!

A bit of a crisis here on Tuesday. The mouse for the desk top stopped working. So David was off late in the evening to buy a new mouse. He spent more than we had planned, but got a good one, then spent the rest of the evening setting it all up. You can't just plug them in anymore. There is a DVD with the program on it that has to be installed in the computer, and a gadget that has to be added to one of the ports. But he got it in and happily played poker. He quite likes it, and I think the tale is told, when he he mentioned that the technician, who had tried to fix the old one for him, said that, in the trade, they consider mice like the old one "throw aways". We had never been happy with it. So all is well, and David has a new toy. Hah!! Wednesday morning I get up to check my e-mail. the key board doesn't work. Since David never uses it, he had no idea. But it's a holiday, and how does he get in touch with the technician again? So discontent, and I'm reduced to checking e-mail on the lap top. (I hate the lap top for keyboard use--very awkward and uncomfortable, and the key board itself just doesn't suit my style.) But half way through the morning he comes in to say that it's all fixed. There was another gadget that had to be installed in one of the other ports to link the keyboard and the mouse to the mother board. I guess he didn't know what it was when he opened the mouse, and had got the mouse to work, so didn't worry about it!

This evening I may go out to what is called a "Salon Evening", with the Manitoba Crafts Council. I've been to one before. They are strange events, designed to help crafters/artisans meet each other and get to know each other a little better. Tonight's events start at a small cafe on Ellice where there will be a light supper (free to members), and a beader will talk to us ( I'm wondering, Cathy, if this might be the lady who made that absolutely marvelous beaded skirt we saw in that exhibit) Then it's off to the Crafts Museum where there is an exhibit on weaving and a weaver (You may have gone to school with her, Beth. Damned if I can remember her maiden name. ??Baker??She was one of a family of girls who lived at the corner of Hay and Brandon, right near Churchill High) will talk about the exhibit. Finally we're off to the Canadian Mennonite University to see the fibre art exhibit in their gallery, and where one of the artists will speak to us of the exhibit. I'm not really sure I'll go, but probably. I've seen the exhibit at both the Crafts Musem and CMU.

But this afternoon I have my "consultation" with the dentist, where we'll decide what is going to be done and when. I am so used to Dr. Tregobov just telling me what is to be done, that I had never thought that they can't do a thing unless I give permission. I hate this sort of decision! I really don't want them to do anything! but I know that, unless something is done, I'll get myself in trouble again.

No comments:

Post a Comment