Friday, October 14, 2011

Be - Let the rains begin......

The less than ideal weather began yesterday and continues today, and apparently will continue through out the weekend. I had to set up the sump pump again this afternoon as I got frustrated with shovelling water away from under the front window where it always accumulates. I had hoped that getting the roof fixed, and eaves trough affixed properly, that we wouldn't be bothered with this problem, but apparently not. Although in all fairness, the eaves are full of fallen leaves so I guess I will have to clean it out once the weather improves. It didn't stop me though from working for about two hours outdoors – really "indoors" if you count being in the greenhouse. I took down all the plants that were in there over the summer – tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and parsley. Only a few small tomatoes and some peppers to harvest, and they were not going to grow any more. Now it is empty and ready to put back the shelves for over winter and then early in the year, Harry will be planting seeds and the fun begins again. I need to retape the seams, and doors with Gorilla tape in attempt to try to keep the heat in, once we get the electric and propane heaters going in the spring. I have already banked the outside with soil, and then raked up leaves hoping that may make a difference. I found a store in the next town of South River where I can turn in my used pocketbooks that I purchased, and get a credit for buying other used books. Today I accrued $13. 46 of credit – the books are not too expensive to purchase either, so I may utilize this option as well as borrow from the library. I got another library book today and so tonight I shall start a new Steve Berry novel. I enjoyed browsing through the Cloth Paper Scissor magazine and found so many really neat ideas I'd like to try if only I could. How about making "A parliament of owls", or gift tags, or a Christmas tree of scraps and buttons, or a coffee cup holder ? It all looks so interesting. I did have to use my machine though on Wednesday and I , too, had some trouble with the thread. Mother has a very old apron that she loves to wear – it is actually rotten, but I have sewn it two times already and went for a third time. Very difficult to stitch rotten material, but I managed to make it so that she can wear it for a little bit more. But something was wrong with the threading as it kept bunching and pulling on me. I took it apart and cleaned the bobbin area, and then rethreaded it completely and it worked. I think that I did not have the top thread in properly for some reason but this added a bit to my frustration of even having to sew the apron. Aunt Evelyn called tonight and spoke with Harry – Uncle Walter who is in the Nursing Home is deteriorating quickly in health and she is worried – wants to go every day and stay for a longer time to be with him. She knows we are visiting on Tuesday again and suggested that we spend more time there with him. She says it will give her a little break! Oh boy. Anyway, time for bed

No comments:

Post a Comment