Monday, October 3, 2011

Short lived cold spell

You were right to gloat over nice weather as it has changed a bit here now – still seasonal, but at least not the bitter cold winds and rain and snow. The snow didn't stay around, by the way, it fell to the ground and disappeared as quickly as it came but nevertheless, it was real snow. The leaves are falling very quickly and the one tree at the front of our house is almost free of all leaves but they are all on the ground needing to be raked up. The next door neighbour mows his lawn to get ride of all his leaves and it almost looks like a deliberate demarcation line has been drawn between the two lots. Last year I raked three or four times under that tree, so this year I will not do it until all, or most, of the leaves have dropped. Actually I haven't had time to think about that sort of thing yet, as I have been emptying all the pots of tomatoes and flowers etc, and stacking the pots away safely until next year. This afternoon after coming home from Mothers, I started to gather up all the ornaments and put them under the picnic table. Once all organized, I'll cover it with a tarp for winter time. After I worked in the yard I wanted to have a drink, and since I have only had beer all summer, it didn't tempt me as it did when the days were long and hot. So I drove to the LCBO, and bought a lovely bottle of Golden Cream Sherry which I now have a glass in front of me. I haven't had any of this for a long time and I forgot how smooth it was going down, so it hit my palette perfectly.
Tomorrow we shop in North Bay and Mothers list is long in preparation for Thanksgiving weekend coming up in a few days. One bright spot is to have coffee with Mike and I always look forward to these occasions, brief as they are. We will have to drive to Mothers place directly from shopping in order to deliver most of the groceries including a frozen turkey which will fit into her freezer nicely. I don't have room in my freezer for her stuff, nor in my fridge so I actually like the idea of dropping it off. Harry went over the menu with her today (out of courtesy as he does it all anyway) I'll be making two cakes this year – a carrot cake and a cherry cheese cake. And I'll be doing Monday mornings breakfast of pancakes and sausage although I'll be helping with all the other meals as well. I believe, the Thanksgiving weekend is for giving thanks, is it not? So I will be thankful to see the back end of it on Monday afternoon!!!
That's all for now – thinking of Patty and her trip back home tomorrow. Also, Manitoba's election tomorrow and what the outcome will be. We go to the polls on Thursday and it is turning into a real battle here in Ontario with a prediction of the possibility of a minority government – the first since the 80's. Oh, the times they are achanging!!

No comments:

Post a Comment