Monday, October 31, 2011

so what am I doing today, you ask

Since many chores have been neglected lately, I checked the calendar for the week and discovered nothing scheduled to use as avoidance.  So, today we make the apple pies for the freezer.  David had sorted the freezer all out to make room for them.  We had planned a minimum of two large ones and up to 8 small ones ( 2 serving size).  I made a big batch of pastry, and mixed a big batch of sugar, cinnamon and minute tapioca.  David started peeling and slicing apples.  Oh, Oh--apples aren't so good, had to throw a couple away.  Ended up with two large pies in the freezer and a big bowl of leftover pastry.  So--we make butter tarts, but couldn't find the recipe.  Finally found one that sounded about right in one of my cookbooks ( it was surprising how many of them, including Company's Coming, had NO recipe for butter tarts!).  David commented that it might be a treat to have some cinnamon toast if there was left over cinnamon sugar--so I spent about half an hour trying to put the cinnamon/sugar/tapioca through a sieve.  Cinnamon toast for breakfast tomorrow! Couldn't save the tapioca, though.

Meanwhile I was ordering magazine subscriptions over the internet, and decided that it would be a good time to order a video I've been looking at for awhile.  An hour and a half to download, and I do this so seldom that I'm not sure what I'm doing.  It finished downloading and started playing( all by itself--I didn't ask it to!!) just as there was a crisis time in the kitchen, so I stopped it, planning to play it later.  It totally disappeared.  Nowhere to be found!  Frustration and bad words!!  So it was downloaded again, but  this time I pressed "save" instead of "run", and when the download was finished I sat and watched the whole thing, before exploring ways to save it for posterity.  Meanwhile David, discovered that the toilet was broken, and set out to fix it.  First set of "innerds" turned out to be useless and he is now trying to fit in the second set (That's two trips Rona in less than an hour) To deal with everyone's frustrations I have suggested that we walk over to the mall and get some shrimp fried rice to go with the chicken planned for supper.  Won't save any money but we'll feel as though we've had a treat.

And, this being Hallowe'en, the church across the street has a big sign out front inviting people in to warm up or use the washroom.  So, for today I'm grateful that I don't have to worry about having a toilet to use until at least 9:00 tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment