Monday, June 18, 2012

gardens

Jewelry?  You're planning on wearing jewelry while you're here?  How unusual!  Maybe I should look into it.  Casual is standard for the Fringe Festival.  Loren has suggested that we go for a very casual supper after his play ( which should end about 6:30)  Sounds like a plan to me.

I made my once-a-year rhubarb pie yesterday, and for some strange reason it was very, very nice--one of the best in recent years. The rhubarb is just so full of water this year--maybe that's the secret.

We have had over a week of rain and wind.  My newest peony--the one at the front of the house--is in bloom--a beautiful, delicate shell pink.  This one is my favourite--the others are dark red and white and just too robust and showy.  But today, after the rain, I see that all of the stems are beaten down and the flowers turning brown.  How sad. The grass just grows and grows.  Now the squirrels can almost hide in it.  All of the eavestroughs are full of crap, and overflowing.

I don't talk to the flowers, but I do talk to the animals and swear at the birds--mainly the Grackles. The Grackles are bringing their children to the feeder.  You can see the young ones screaming at the parents and chasing them around demanding food. This afternoon we saw a duck and her four babies crossing Des Meurons.  My heart worried about the babies, they were so very tiny, and on such a busy street and I have to wonder how many she had when they started across.  I sure hope they made it safely to the river bank, but somehow I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment