Friday, June 1, 2012

When it rains, it pours.....

...and right now I am manning the sump pump outside and hoping that this time I can keep up with the downpour. Apparently this will be the way it is for the entire weekend. Rain is definitely needed for the dry bush and forest fire issues (and garden) however, it could come in nice soft steady regular nightly bouts and not all at once?
Well, an exciting day was had today including speaking with, and shaking hands with the Prime Minister Steven Harper in North Bay. It was Armed Forces Day  and as a special treat this year the Prime Minister made an appearance and speech honouring the Armed Forces making mention of how special North Bay and Norad forces are to Canada and the USA. Static displays were exceptionaly good and of course I got to see Mike who was part of the setup and demonstrations of equipment and transportation. We were positioned along the security fence and so when Mr Harper did a walk by greeting people we were right there so of course shook his hand and said a few words. I was more interested in watching the security. We got there early to get a front row position so got to observe the "men in black" getting ready for his arrival and then how he was received and managed during his stay and eventual departure. Had to be about 8 or 9 security cars as part of the entourage - all shiny black including his SUV with shaded windows and lights flashing and Canadian Flag on top. The American Ambassador to Canada was also in attendance with a slightly less presence though. All of the security ( RCMP) were dressed in black suits and ties and all had earphones stuck in their ears, and all held a blackberry or smart phone and all tended to be using them continuously. Two in particular were of note because they had a napsack type of long bag slung over their backs and they hung closely by at all times - what do you suppose would be in that bag???? The Hornet F-18 did a fly over, and the Griffin Helicopter did a display of maneouvres including flying sideways and in reverse - amazing!
I was so excited when I got home that I had to make a batch of choc chip cookies, and then made a pizza and managed to pig out quite sufficiently, thank you! Now I get ready for a wet weekend which for me sounds good because I could use some inside time - get some work done and also start in earnest to gather up things for the trip. Once I turned the calendar over to June this morning it hit me how close my departure really is. Have a good weekend, and take care. I'll call when I win the Lotto Max tonight, OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment