Thursday, May 14, 2015

Oh what a night....

You're not kidding - getting colder for sure. and didn't we feel it here!!  We covered up most of everything Tuesday night but it remained near zero with no frost. But last night the temperature plummeted drastically to about 3 below. Out we go in the middle of the night to spray everything not covered. Everything just froze with icicles hanging off the leaves and the metal tomato cages - it was terrible! We brought some big pots inside (to the bathtub if you please haha) and Harry rinsed them with tepid water while I remained outside doing the same with the tomatoes there, and spraying the geraniums and little peppers not covered. By dawn it was looking pretty grim. By sunlight things were not much better. Even when we took the covers off the other plants it was evident that the frost had been worse than ever expected or forecast.  We have likely lost many but will take a wait and see attitude for now. It is hard to say whether some plants will come back, while others are definitely done. Some peppers that were covered looked to be done when we removed the covers, but during the day started to make a comeback. That's gardening for you - not that I necessarily live for it, but since I'm here, I have to endure all parts of it -including the unusual care techniques that cold weather brings.
And if that weren't enough when I logged on the computer to check for messages this morning there was a Kaspersky flash notice of malware including 4 threats and 1 warning. So I logged onto my Geek Squad. And don't laugh as this is the new name of the program I purchased at Future Shop when we got the computer purged.  It took 90 minutes but we are now clean.  I  sat at the computer and tried to follow what the remote Agent was doing but it was so fast, it was basically impossible. There were also times when the computer was scanning or cleaning files that nothing seemed to be happening. Fortunately Harry had gone to lay down, so wasn't panicking to use the computer during this time. When he did log in though, some things were not the same for him so I had to do a bit of trouble shooting myself to get him satisfied. When you get used to clicking a certain way and getting the response you are used to, and when this doesn't happen, I guess it is easy to become upset? Anyway, all is OK for now.
Speaking of computers, I have always liked to log onto Winnipeg Free Press and read up on interesting local things - I like to think it helps keep me in the loop! Well, the whole format of their web site has changed and it looks so busy now. I have to give myself more time to get used to it and navigate around a bit more to become familiar. Do either of you log onto this site, and if so, what do you think?
I should trot off to bed now -I am so tired that I don't think I can actually get to sleep - that sounds funny but that's the way I feel right now. Maybe do some reading and that might help?
Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment