Monday, August 10, 2015

Got my Wheels back!!

We saw the orthopedic surgeon again today.  He thinks I'm doing well enough not to need another follow-up for 18 months.  And I can drive again!  So we came home, and then I took the car out to get my self a haircut.  I think I'll still be nervous about driving at night, at least until I see the ophthalmologist at the end of September.  We figured out that I haven't been driving regularly since the beginning of March 2014.  So I guess there will be a bit of a re-learning curve, and I'll certainly need practice.

The slow cooker chicken didn't turn out too badly.  The chicken itself was certainly better than the previous time, when I tried to roast it, but still not great. It was just too tough an old hen. The tomato was fine.  I kept it, and had more for supper tonight.  I think I would make it again, for myself.  I used to make a similar dish,, by frying the tomatoes, and adding a few bread crumbs and some sliced Zucchini, but David is not fond of tomato at the best of times.

Today I made up oatmeal cookies from Mom's old recipe that gets rolled, and put in the fridge to be sliced and baked later.  From the ingredients, I have to guess that it is probably an old depression recipe, and this made me think about how many things we had at home that probably came from the depression, and even from Dad's life at home before that.  Things with just basic ingredients, no eggs or no butter.  Do you remember Boiled Raisin cake?  I used to make that when the children were small.  It was so good with lemon icing.  Remember how Dad used to add bits of cheese and bread to pan fried potatoes.  I sure used to enjoy that, but now realize it was a way to stretch the potatoes and add a bit of protein.

It looks like one of our little plants may not make it.  We'll have to keep an eye on it. Worry about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment