Sunday, October 18, 2015

Supper

Our usually fairly casual supper turned into a bit of a feast today.  We roasted one of the lovely chickens that Jim so kindly delivered to us last Wednesday. Since we are getting low on potatoes, David agreed to have Scottish oatmeal dressing instead of potato.  And I made a lemon meringue pie--a very rare treat. 

Since I started trying to shop once a week, instead of once a month, our food costs have gone up, so David wants to go back to once a month. I find it very hard to predict what we are going to need  4 weeks in advance, which means we run out of things. So I often end up with some odd combinations by trying to use whatever I have in the pantry.  This week I found a package of Sheriff's Lemon Pie filling, that has been there for years ( I don't think it came from  the old house, but you never know.) So I had bought a ready-made pie crust only to get it home and realize that it was shortbread rather than graham crumb.  I didn't even know they made ready to eat shortbread pie crusts!  What a treat! I'm not fussy about pie, ( ever since David's Mother served me grape pie-- 
yuch!) but Lemon Meringue is one I enjoy.

Early in the day, in our quest to find cheap entertainment, we attended the Winnipeg Rock and Mineral Show, at a local hotel. Very interesting stuff, but also very crowded.  One thing we didn't expect was that they would be selling beads, and at prices well below the local stores. So I came home with five strands of beads, including one of very dark turquoise, and another of polished bits of shell. I have no idea where I'm going to use them all, but I may have a use for one or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment