Thursday, November 10, 2016

Fixing the furnace

The problem we had found was some sort of water leak, associated with the humidifier, that had left the furnace room floor in water, that  had also started to wick up the walls.  Finally the fellow showed up this morning.  I was in the upstairs studio, but I could hear the excited masculine voices as they tried to sort things out.  Suddenly shouts and what sounded like bad words.  I kept my distance.  It turned out that there had been a very badly blocked hose, not one that was associated with the new furnace that had been installed  18 months ago, but rather one that had been in the house when we bought it.  It was very badly plugged and the fellow couldn't blow it out, so they had hooked up David's little compressor, and "let'er rip!"  It worked so well that the hose spurted dirty sludge all over the laundry room.  Thank Goodness clothing etc had been removed to accommodate the work, but the floors, table, wine rack, and appliances all got it. We (the "Royal We" with minimal help) cleaned most of it up.  But it gave me a chance to take a good look around the laundry room ( and the basement bathroom, by chance).  There was dirt, the sort that accumulates over time, and you don't notice because the process is so slow.  OMG!

I haven't been able to keep up with it, and it shows.  I'm also well aware that I probably don't have the physical ability, nor, if truth be known, the desire, to spend the time dealing with this sort of thing. Unfortunately, neither do I have a choice. So I made a cup of tea and sat down to blog to my sisters.  Sounds like a plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment